As always, I’ve been busy and forgot to update this blog for a long time. Since the last time you’ve heard from me, my boyfriend and I have moved out of our small apartment and into a townhouse. I’ve also decided to go back to school for video game design this fall. So here’s everything that’s going on in my life right now:
Archive for Cosplay
Today I’m going to try to write a post that will actually be useful to other cosplayers, instead of just rambling about how awesome I think I am. I’m assuming most cosplayers who need glasses just use contacts when cosplaying a character that doesn’t wear glasses, but I’m just not willing to touch my eyeballs just for a costume. I also don’t want to limit my cosplay options just to characters that have the same minor disability as me. If you’re also in the minority of people who are not willing to (or simply can’t) wear contacts, there are other options.
I just finished making Lucy’s horns for my cosplay costume. The horns are made of Sculpey III oven bake clay.
I originally made a set of horns out of some scraps of 5mm Foamies sheets I had left over from my Skyrim Iron Helmet, but I decided to remake them out of Sculpey clay so they would be thicker, harder, and more bone-like (and less cat ear like, though I’m sure the artist of the series intended them to look similar to cat ears). The original horns I made ended up being shaped more like her horns in some parts of the manga than her anime horns (they seem inconsistent in the manga), which I guess would have been okay since my wig is more the color of her hair on the manga cover than in the anime.
With the new year, I’m actually going to attempt to start posting occasionally. I know, I said that last year, and I this year will probably end up about the same.
I got a new job a couple months ago, which is partially why I’ve been too busy to keep this blog updated. I also haven’t done much that would be relevant enough to this blog to post about.
I just wanted to share some photos of my finished Skyrim cosplay costume. These pictures were taken while adventuring outside the hotel.
My boyfriend took an arrow to the knee. His adventuring days are over.
But I still get to adventure:
Here’s the skirt I made for my Skyrim hide armor costume.
The skirt for the hide armor is made from several layers of fabric. I started by making the black under layer from a stretchy black fabric. It’s double layered with the same black fabric. I then made the fur layer and sewed it to the black under skirt around the top. The patchwork “hide” flaps are attached to the bottom of the fur layer. I put a zipper closure on the side of the skirt and made the belt completely separate from the skirt.
I would have posted earlier, but I was still working on my costume up until a few hours before we had to leave for the Matsuricon.
Here are some photos of my iron helmet.
I made the entire helmet out of Foamies sheets (2mm for the horns and detailing and I believe 5mm for the helmet itself). I used several layers of acrylic paint to give it a well-worn look. I started with metallic silver. It was too light, so I mixed that paint with black to give it a darker color. I added yet another layer of silver/black paint using a spongy brush (that’s the technical term!) to give it more of a “worn” texture. I then applied some bronze paint with a spongy brush to give it a rusty effect. Some of the battle damage was created using clear packaging tape underneath the paint.
I was originally going to make a Dawnbreaker sword (actually, two of them, so I could dual wield like I had my character do after exploiting a glitch in the Break of Dawn quest), but I’m running out of time to finish my costume and couldn’t find anything to use as the light for the top of the hilt. Instead, I just made a generic sword painted in a similar fashion to the Imperial sword.
I have the top part of my Hide Armor for my Skyrim cosplay finished. It is made from a brown soft kind of leathery/velvety material.
The shirt is double layered, lined with the same material that I used for the outside. I MacGyvered the pattern by taping together several sheets of paper and tracing a tanktop, then simply altering the outline to match the outfit worn by my Skyrim character. I put a zipper on the side to make it easier to get on and off.
I finished my Amulet of Talos for my Skyrim cosplay (aside from putting it on a necklace).
The amulet is made from green Sculpey III Granitex clay that I’ve had sitting around my parents house for probably the better part of a decade. I haven’t actually worked with polymer clay since I was a teenager, which is probably why it came out looking a little odd.